> one nice thing about the scheme is that in the compiler suite
> only the loader knows or needs to know
> the bit patterns and peculiar properties of the actual machine.

Thank you for reminding me, I thought I'd seen the details somewhere.
Now to actually absorb them, given that if I were to read your
comments literally, I'd assume that the intermediate code would be
machine independent.  Seeing that such is not the case, I'd better
look a little deeper.

It would be a shame (but no disaster) if Binutil's "nm" and other
tools could not at least display native Plan 9 intermediate files.  I
need to know or decide how far to take this exercise.

++L