On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 11:00 +0000, roger peppe wrote:
> i've sometimes thought that the trick used by #d etc could
> be made more transparent by providing a genuine capability
> service for fds, in the form of a system call, for instance
>
>   getfdcap(int fd, char *buf, int len)
>
> then instead of just writing the fd itself, you'd write
> the capability - thus the write can bridge several
> namespaces, as long as it ends up in the same kernel,
> which can then utilise the capability.
>
> the fact that this also provides the possibility of implementing
> sendfd might or might not be an advantage.

In light of the recent discussion, I now see how providing this
basic capability could be a very useful building block for the
rest of the system.

Not in a sense, that it'll be plugging a particular gaping hole,
but rather that thrown into the mix, it might help foster better
ideas/implementations.

Thanks,
Roman.