as long as you restrict your network to plan 9 machines, it is possible
to import /net from a gateway machine and avoid sticky things like packet
filtering.

Back to the future yet? May I suggest that the "sticky" packet filtering, more generally packet manipulation, has crucial applications in any packet-switched network (like... "the Net") and a certain OS's current lack of facilities, out of the box, to deal with the problem does not automatically mean the problem should be thrown out. Of course, in an essentially sheltered world not having an IDS is as good as having one but, you see, that's the world of a certain OS. Other OSes have to live in the wild.

P.S. This is a get-back from the NAT thread.