A text based environment isn't that interesting, but a 9p transport that allows the end user to cache and store files on the device to be reviewed through currently provided renderers/decoders (pdf, jpeg, tiff, myriad of audio formats, html/xml) would be ideal. Given that we're starting to see more utilities that do similar things but over other transport means (http, sync utilities, etc) I think enabling the iPhone OS with 9p and a cache stored natively would be a significant benefit to future applications. And with the new APIs for copy/paste, a 9p based cache could be a great transport for data synchronization.

-jas