I have the developer kit, I'd be willing to submit the resulting app for free distro. That's at least one less barrier.

   -eric

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 25, 2009, at 8:31 PM, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchov...@gmail.com> wrote:

there are a couple of other problems that I see with dt on the iPhone:

- platform: google may be much more interested in seeing apps for the
G-phone than they are for the rival (but then, a g-phone version may
be much easier to do, and not worth a gsoc)

- barrier to entry: the student should have an iPhone (the simulator
is only somewhat sufficient).

- barrier to entry: the iPhone development kit costs $99 (that's not
the SDK, which is free) and puts you through a few too many hoops just
to order a development token for your phone, then much more stuff to
put it into the AppStore. it's not pretty.

i don't want to turn anyone off from the idea: if anyone thinks it's
worth it go for it.