2009/8/12  <6o205z...@sneakemail.com>:
> Given how useful and important it is to have Edit in the tag of text
> windows, is there some reason that it isn't there automatically?

After this discussion, I wrote a little patch, which somebody else
might find useful:

; diff /sys/src/cmd/acme/exec.c src/acme/exec.c
70a71
>       { L"|",         edit,           FALSE,  XXX,            XXX
> },
149c150,152
<       e = lookup(r, q1-q0);
---
>       e = nil;
>       if(runestrncmp(r, L"|", 1) != 0 || q1-q0 == 1)
>               e = lookup(r, q1-q0);

What it does is to interpret the pipe symbol '|' like the Edit command
when that is the only selection. That way, you can make the 2-1 chord
with Edit commands in every text window. I know it is a bit too
obscure, but very convenient, since the symbol is *always* in the
window - around the middle of the tag bar surrounded by spaces - and
it does not have any other use (you won't be using it to name
executable files). Maybe somebody else wants to give it a try.

--
- yiyus || JGL . 4l77.com