On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 05:51:33PM +0100, Eris Discordia wrote:

> I don't think we are actually in disagreement here. I have no objections to
> your assertion. However, the particular case at hand indicates a different
> thing than historians (of computer technology) "backporting" today's
> trivial matters. I believe that a concept existed in a language
> (Plankalkuel) but not the machine it was supposed to control (Z3) by all
> [...]

There is a rather extensive review of

"The Early Development of Programming Languages"
        by Donald E. Knuth and Luis Trabb Pardo,
        reproduced and completed in "Selected Papers on Computer Languages",
        Donald E. Knuth, CSLI ISBN 1-57586-382-0

presenting the state and achievement, among many others, of Zuss
Plankalkül (followed by Goldstine/von Neumann, Curry, Mauchly etc.).
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/