> Are you implying Doug McIlroy hadn't been taught about (and inevitably
> occupied by) Church-Turing Thesis or even before that Ackermann function and
> had to wait to be inspired by a comment in passing about FORTRAN to realize
> the importance of recursion?! This was a rhetorical question, of course.

Doug loves that story. In the version he told me, he was a (math) grad
student at MIT in 1956 (before FORTRAN) and the discussion in the lab
was about computer subroutines - in assembly or machine language of
course.  Someone mused about what might happen if a subroutine called
itself.  Everyone looked bemused.  The next day they all returned and
declared that they knew how to implement a subroutine that could call
itself although they had no idea what use it would be.  "Recursion"
was not a word in computing.  Hell, "computing" wasn't even much of a
word in math.

Don't be Whiggish in your understanding of history.  Its participants
did not know their way.

-rob