I initially used Plan 9 to learn more advanced security architecture
concepts, so for me it was initially a research OS. However, I learned that
it is surprisingly functional and versatile and I have used it for over 6
years now as a strong development environment, off and on as my desktop OS,
and an archive server for all my backup needs. I'm not much of a multimedia
guy (don't watch a lot of videos or listen to mp3s outside of iTunes) so it
fits well for me.