Well, after a few days of messing around I still can't accomplish
anything. Perhaps i'm thinking too much in BSD and/or linux terms. As
I said before, I like to try to figure out things on my own when and
where possible, but several days in and I still can't function.
Nonetheless,
I understand the "everything is text" idea, and I'm comfortable with
the mouse actions and getting around the gui, but I still can't figure
out how to
1. mount a cd, usb stick, or another local filesystem.
The mount command is nothing like what i'm used to on linux or BSD,
and the /mnt folder is kind of confusing. How can I mount/ummount
things and approx. where do they end up?

2. Installing software. I have no net connection in Plan9 because it
does not recognize my ethernet card. Do I just take something, say
a .tbz from the sources contrib directory online, put somewhere and
decompress it, then just type "mk install", am I missing something?

Any other user-end, desktop administration type of things you feel is
worth pointing out, please feel free to throw them in too or point me
to any specific threads or documents that might help out. I've read
over nearly every document on Bell Lab's Plan9 site, some things I
understand, some is way over my head.
I am really trying though fellas, please don't come at me with the
"stick to FreeBSD" thing. It is my primary system at present, but I
want to enjoy the experience of Plan9 too. Sincere thanks for your
time.
  --Q