> Wouldn't grouping be a matter of placing a "category" file in the
> package? I'm reading "grouping" as the kind of divisions you get in
> Ports, i.e. net, editor, util, language, etc.

Thing is, the "port" hierarchy (hereto I used "NetBSD package system"
for the same concept) provides both the hierarchical structure I
believe is needed to minimise duplication and a description file to
search for concepts rather than file names.  So, yes, I agree with a
portion of your suggestion, but not your suggested implementation.  In
practice, all I'm proposing is replacing directories owned by
individual contributors with a hierarchy that undergoes a useful
amount of validation.

I'm sure that fgb's contrib, possibly with manageable alterations,
will successfully deal with my proposal, with the reservation that we
probably want a selection mechanism that reduces the magnitude of
updates/replications to manageable proportions.  The NetBSD packages
hierarchy skeleton is gargantuan, I think we ought to provide tools to
trim down any new implementation of it, but I have not thought to any
extent how we'd do that.

++L