> However since the Atom doesn't support ECC RAM (for that matter
> neither does the mighty Core i7) I'm somewhat cautious about trusting
> it as an always on file server without additional checksums in
> software.  Pretty much all AMD chips support ECC RAM, although of
> course mobo/BIOS support is a different matter.

i think you're right.  ecc hardware is hard to live without.
i have not used ecc memory with amd hardware.  so i can't
comment on that.  but  if you want ecc with intel hardware,
you just need to get the xeon version of the processor:

socket 1156 core iX     xeon [elwx]3[45]xx
socket 1366 core i7     xeon [elwx][35][56]xx

you can get the xeon versions at a similar price
to the core iX versions, but usually the frequency
is a bit lower.

ecc motherboards can be competitive, too.  it
looks like newegg is selling the x8sil for $159.
it comes with two fairly nice i82574 nics.  i can
verify that this motherboard works correctly.