On 16 May 2010, at 16:46, Jorden M wrote:

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:21 AM, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:

portage is horrid.  i hate it more every time i use it.
and it doesn't work.  revdep rebuild is proof.

it is a lot more dependable than any other package maintenance system I've used on *NIX based systems. The fundamental problem requiring revdep is

I honestly can't support that. I do like Portage, but it is horribly
fragile. The few volunteers that work with it can't keep it from
breaking every few months, and when they finally have a fix, it's a
long wiki page of instructions, not a simple `ok, everyone update your
portage trees for the fix'.

Contrast Sorcery which has multiple well-implemented automated repair systems.

--
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it. -- Alan Perlis