>> I think some of the ideas behind portage are good, e.g. the ability to
>> handle patches and slim down software via USE flags.
>
> this is only necessary if your purpose is to prune overgrown
> packages.  i hope will will solve this problem by not having
> overgrown pacakges.

I see a couple of other applications for use flags besides pruning
overgrown packages -- such as should we install source and documentation
(yes by default on large systems, no on small embedded systems).  Should we
strip binaries or compile things for debugging?  Install examples?  I do
not see much call for more than that, but I see those as useful.

Another potential use flag or architecture keyword covers if the package
can be built, or should build, using 64 bit mode.

  EBo --