> Playing with it and reading the manual (which I printed off in its
> entirety at my college's library), I notice that it hasn't been
> updated for eight years or so. So I'm curious; is Plan 9, Fourth
> Edition going to be the last? Or is there a Fifth Edition on its way
> at some point?

A common misconception. Editions refer to major overhalls of the system,
and to a lesser extent printed (i.e. paper) editions of the manual.

Plan9 is continuously updated, changes often happening several times a week.

You can update your installation to the latest provided on bell labs servers
by running the pull script in glenda's bin directory.

        /usr/glenda/bin/rc/pull

Note, the user who you perform pull as must be in group sys
to have the rights to overwrite "system" files.

-Steve