errno wrote:

Starting Goal:  a modern, standards compliant web engine library for Plan 9

No!

Has anyone tried out Gwene? Basically you "sign up" an RSS feed and it presents it as an NNTP news feed that you can access via news.gwene.org.

Now, this is what I like. Take some core sites and resources ("all useful features" port of the web) and use the sites API, write a "translator" to present the content as news, or plain text (files served via a fs) where applicable.

If I had time and the stomach to deal with website "API's" and content formating, I would do just that.

I'd claim that most sites these days lend well to being translated as NNTP news feeds. Most sites are people 'posting' crap and thoughts on said crap at regular intervals.

Some useful staples like wikipedia could get their own fs (wikipediafs? -- that's a mouthful...).

Fun but frivolous stuff like reddit could be presented as NNTP as well. If done right, there could be one NNTP server like Gwene that we could all use -- or you could roll your own for at home. And of course it doesn't need to be nntp. I just figured it could be used by people on OS's they get stuck with at work that don't speak 9p :)

For newly discovered sites that you'd like to visit when curiosity gets the best of you -- you've got abaco or something under linuxemu.

I say modify the web for plan9, not plan9 for the web.

Frankly I'd be more interested in a video player (just a few common codecs that's all) than a modern web browser.

-Jack