I've written some math papers in troff. I spent less time doing math and
more time tinkering with troff, to get things to show up properly. LaTeX looks
prettier still, but handling UTF-8 in the source goes a long way towards
legibility (especially if you have to come back to it after a while).

I also ported Lout (contrib/akumar/lout.tgz) to Plan 9. It looks even prettier,
and the source files end up looking much prettier than LaTeX. However,
there is no UTF-8 support.

ak