On Thu Nov 22 11:15:36 EST 2012, lu...@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > and even that aside, can you cite studies that show that the choice of
> > programming
> > language is the dominant term in determining the error rate of the resulting
> > code?
>
> Come on, Erik, are you suggesting that because there are no studies,
> the situation could not exist?

i don't know that they do or don't.  but to me that was the clear
assumption.

my hunch is that there is more evidence that development practice
and culture have a stronger bearing on the quality of the code than
the implementation language.

for example, the folks who wrote the space shuttle software
(originally ibm) downplayed their language, but made a point of
talking about how they developed code.

their results were quite good.  one software-caused failsafe in
all the launches.

so that's just an anecdote.  i'd like to know more about the subject.