Ay, Curamba!

This discussion is exactly why we need Boyd.

But, let the record show, C++ has been scientifically shown to be an
unbelievably crap and monstrously complex language, even though I earn
my daily bread by using it. I was a contemporary of Dr Stroustrup when
he was spending his time dragging the Cambridge mainframe to its knees
using the Simula compiler - the kindest description I ever heard from
friends in the computer lab was "stubborn"-  and occasionally, ok
frequently, or indeed always, am tempted to view C++ as his revenge on
the world for pointing out that he doesn't have a clue how to program
efficiently.