On 20/02/2013 15:04, erik quanstrom wrote:
4k drives only work in 9atom.  and they're not recommended
as a boot drive.

Do you mean 4k drives that reports 4k block size or 4k drives that
report 512B?

i've found it hard to tell, even reading the data sheets if a drive
is 512 or 4k.  but many drives have the lba number on the sticker.  and
for example 3907029168 corresponds to 512-byte sectors, 2T.

        3907029168*512/1000^4 = 2.0

- erik

My WD hdd hosts a "Plan 9 from Bell Labs" from Bell Labs, it is a
WDC WD15EARS-00Z.  I'm 99% sure* it is a 4k hdd that reports 512B block
sizes.  And when I installed the system, I did all the partitioning by
hand to ensure alignment for every Plan 9 partition.  It was quite a
pain.

I didn't take a look seriously to the sticker, I will next time the
box will be opened.

Nicolas

--
* If I remember well, I did some tests with misaligned partitions
under Linux, R/W operations were so slow...!  To me, it's hard to be