On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 09:44:54PM +0000, Charles Forsyth wrote:
> I'm fairly sure Thompson wrote it on sabbatical in Berkeley. I think he
> also wrote the first version of a Pascal compiler.
> Pascal isn't a difficult language but I remember that compiler having an
> unusual style. I think others reworked it significantly later,
> so if it's there at all it's worth looking at the earliest possible one.

The Pascal compiler rings a bell... It would be fun indeed to derived a
version from it so that, finally, TeX and al. could be "natively"
compiled instead of converting the (pseudo) Pascal to C (this is web2c
purpose or, as I have named it, pp2rc---Pseudo Pascal to Raw C).
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/