Note that djvu would compress things very nicely. A full page
300dpi magazine color page that may be 25MB uncompressed will
compress down to 40K-80K or so and be very legible, much more
so compared a similar sized jpeg compressed image.

The current OSS djvu library is GPL but as far as I know the
original AT&T patent on the djvu technology has expired. If
anyone wants to reimplement it with a more permissive
license! The benefit is that there are a lot of existing djvu
encoded documents.

[Note: if anyone does decide to reimplement djvu, they should
not just take my word for it but verify that the djvu
patent(s) have indeed expired]