Quoth ron minnich <rminn...@gmail.com>:
> This is why 9p starts to perform poorly in networks with high
> bandwidth*delay products -- if you watch the net traffic, you see each
> T op  on fid blocked by the previous Reply (by devmnt).
>
> I never figured out a way to fix this without fixing devmnt -- by
> removing its general nature.

I suspect there are 2 changes that would be needed.

First, a shallow protocol change to 9p, where a 'bundle'
tag is added, such that if an Rerror is returned for any
message in the same bundle, the rest of the bundle is
not executed.

Second, the userspace API would need to change so that
reads and writes can return without waiting for a result,
this is harder, and I haven't come up with anything
satisfying.