15.05.2024 16:18:49 Don Bailey <don.bai...@gmail.com>:
> This thread is perhaps one of the best examples of the bizarre ecosystem that
> Plan 9 has evolved (devolved?) into. While I have not always understood Vic's
> choices, I was, in the past, aware of his /position/ at certain entities...
> and provided him with security information I hoped was relevant to that
> position at that time. He has been on the Plan 9 mailing list as long (or
> longer?) than I have (pre-2002?) and has always written his emails in the
> fashion he writes them currently.

I didn't know that he's been here for so long. It's sad that you both perceive
the state of the mailing list community as it is.

I can also totally see that vic is trying to help. I just see that the help
he's providing in the last few months wasn't very helpful, and it also wasn't
well perceived by all readers.

However, I can also only judge from my perspective, and I'm only here for a few
years now.

> Frankly, I don't even understand the point in attacking whether he is or is
> not "an LLM". He's actually trying to be helpful. Perhaps spending less time
> trolling everyone you don't understand (and inaccurately presume to be a
> troll), and instead trying to understand how they purport to add value, is a
> useful path forward.

I personally consider it a valid move to ask a LLM for help writing mails. It's
just weird to do that on a mailing list like this. I doubt that vic used an AI
or anything (I mean, why would he lie).

I can also see one or the other trolling attempt here, and I see only a few
different reasons for that:

(1) People are tired because they're always reading the same arguments and
defending themselves for the 1000th time. It's understandable that somw develop
a trolling tone.

(2) People have fun trolling other people. In my opinion this belongs into
human communication to some extent, but it shouldn't be endorsed and it should
only happen in some safe space. On this mailing list, this is sometimes too
much.

(3) People are trolls. In this case we're out of luck.

> There are other companies using Plan 9 in commercial operations/offerings,
> but I don't think they care to be a part of whatever this mailing list has
> become.

(Still interested in learning about them.)

Sorry, I can't really perceive "whatever this mailing list has become". I'm not
here for too long, and I probably don't see it as critical as you. I should
note however that 9fans threads often are either non-existent (the list is very
silent), half-dead or total drama (as this giga-thread). Compared to the 9front
mailing list, there's almost only constructive work, feedback, steps forward.

I also notice that there's barely any software development going on here
(almost no patches, no discussion). Is this because the mailing list evolved
like that and people don't want to contribute in that environment, or is it the
reason why it evolved like that?

Funnily enough, the 9fans discord community is very nice, helpful, I can barely
see any trolling attempt at all (at least I can't remember anything like that).

sirjofri