If I understand things correctly, this is venti catching up with the
indexing that got suddenly interrupted when the machine was turned
off.  I can see this very easily by having a manual venti start and
stop on another HDD, if I do stuff to that venti and shut it down
immediately, I get the "indexing clumps" upon restat of that venti,
whereas if I leave it for a few minutes before stopping, I get
immediate venti startup.

I'm not sure if it is correct that venti blocks your system startup
though.  I thought it was meant to be able to serve immediately.  But
I propably don't understand too well.

Robby