On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 05:02:59PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > As for me, I'd be pretty happy if I could have a bittorrent client
> > (especially libtorrent/rtorrent, written in c++) on plan9 so it'd be
> > rather nice if your P9GCC could achieve building that. But yeah, that
> > one relies on auto*, configure, etc..
>
> Let me emphasise that the auto* stuff is nowhere near the stumbling
> block it's made out to be.  Benavento (I hope I'm not pointing fingers
> at the wrong person right now - no way to check) and I have different
> techniques to address this, but we both have done a good deal of
> porting auto* dependent stuff to APE with the help of moderately
> simple mkfiles.  Then again, I stumbled with Graphviz version 2, sadly.
>
> Graphics, networking and multithreading are much bigger issues to
> resolve.  So your bittorrent client may be difficult to port and damn
> easy to redevelop.  Any chance you may give it a try?

Well if there was one project I'd try to code for, that would probably
be it. I even thought about proposing myself as a student for gsoc
with this idea in mind (although I seem to recall one condition is to be
a student irl, which is not my case anymore). However I'm pretty sure I
would not be able to commit enough time to it, so it would be kindof
worthless to start with it and never get to finish it properly. Besides,
I have not coded seriously in a long time, so I'm probably not the right
candidate to write something that doesn't suck atm.

Mathieu.

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

KeyID:  | Fingerprint:
683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3