Bryan writes:
         My apologies, Laurie.  You didn't mention it in your New Version announcement
         last month so I missed it.  Any chance of you including John Chambers'
         K:<tonic><mode><accidentals> proposal soon?

Hmmm ... Maybe I should write up a spec and send it to Chris Walshaw.

BTW, as for the "mixed" notation K:Amix=g (no pun intended;-), I  ran
across  it  twice in the past week in some Scottish tunes for a dance
I'm playing at soon.  In both  cases,  the  intent  was  obvious,  to
emphasize  to  those  with too much classical education that although
the key was obviously A, the g's were not sharped.  I've put both  of
the  tunes into abc and kept this key signature.  The =g is obviously
not necessary, just as "advisory" accidentals aren't  necessary,  but
it's useful at times.

In general, I'd expect that few people would  use  both  a  mode  and
extra accidentals. But in some situations, it is useful. In the above
tunes, having the K:Amix is better than K:^f^c because it can be used
in  searches.   The  extra  =g  is  a  bit of redundancy that doesn't
interfere with a search, and helps prevent misreading by  those  less
musically literate than we all are here.

Of course, I should probably mention again that  my  own  motive  for
wanting  this notation is so that I can transcribe music that doesn't
fit into the western modes.  I play a  lot  of  Balkan,  Klezmer  and
Middle Eastern music, and I routinely use non-classical scales.  I've
put a number of my tunes into scales like K:^f_B_e or K:^G  over  the
past  few  weeks,  and  it  makes  a  noticeable  difference  in  the
transcription.  I'm involved in a number of  educational  operations,
introducing  people  to  music that may be rather diferrent than what
they've played before.  A "strange" key signature is very useful;  it
gives readers an immediate warning that there's something here that's
may be new, and they'd better pay close attention.

Having the accidentals in the signature rather than before the  notes
is  especially useful.  When dealing with an unfamiliar scale, it can
take a while to understand why those notes  are  "altered".   If  the
accidentals  are in the signature, it gets across the idea that those
notes are not altered, but are "in the scale".  This is  much  easier
for  readers than trying to memorize all the accidentals.  Knowing up
front that "the F's are all sharp and the B's and E's are  all  flat"
makes  the  music  much easier to read and understand than if some of
those notes have accidentals but you can't tell at first which do and
which don't.

The musicians familiar with the style tend to take it in  stride,  of
course.   There's  nothing  remarkable about a correct key signature,
after all.  Some of them have asked me what music software I'm using.
Their  experience  is often with commercial software that limits them
to only "legal" musical notation. It's can be fun to see the reaction
of  a  lot of people when I say "Well, this software didn't allow it,
either, so I rewrote it." It's interesting that so many  people  seem
surprised  by  the idea that software is something that people write.
Sorta like the people who are surprised (and sometimes a bit shocked)
when they finally realize where milk and eggs come from ...