Let me be clear - I am NOT pushing for ABC to support
precisely the set of things that Muse accepts.  I'd prefer
it to be a smaller set.  I see no real virtue in having
three (or more?) different ways to write "diminished".

I was aware that the thing in Mike's mail wasn't the abc2midi
spec - that's why I asked for it.

What I would like to see as ABC is as follows
I hope the meta-syntax is obvious, here's a clue
   <chord> = A | B[c]
would mean that a chord could be A or B or Bc
with no other possibilities.   Here we go...

<silence> = X
<root> = <note>
<bass> = <note>
<note letter> = A|B|C|D|E|F|G
<accid> = #|b
<modifier> = m|m7||maj7|dim|aug|!|4|5|6|7|9

This means that there is only one true way to write
G minor, to wit Gm - Gmin may or may not work.
If a program accepts a superset, then it should
ideally emit a warning diagnostic.

Semantics (what it means).
If there is no /<bass> option:
The lowest note in the chord is given by the chord
letter, possibly sharpened or flattened in an obvious
way, in some octave not specified by ABC.
the notes of the chord are given below in
ascending order of pitch for the case of root note C.
For other root notes, all notes in the chord,
including the root are shifted by the same
number of semitones.
[no modifier] => C E G
m => C Eb G
m7 => C Eb G Bb
maj7 => C E G B
dim => C Eb F# A
aug => C E G#
! => C
4 => C F G
5 => C G
6 => C E G A
7 => C E G Bb
9 => C E G D or C E G C D (but not C D E G)

Where the </bass> option is used then
If the <bass> note is in the chord then the chord
is inverted so as to make that note the lowest in
the chord.  For instance,
C/G => G C E
D7/C => C D F# A
If the bass note is not in the chord, then it is
added.
e.g. C/A => A C E G
[Does it have to be added as the lowest note
in the chord??
Could C/A be another name for C6??]

Laurie
P.S. I've tried to be even handed.  This lot would
give me some implementation work to do in Muse.
I prefer F! to f because
1. it seems more consistent
2. it means that "fine" is not taken as an F chord,
even though it should be written "^fine".