Personal & non-commercial wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 February 2001 15:11, you wrote:
>
> > > "... what Muse does isn't compatible with what abc2midi does..."
> >
> > This is true in principal, but actually what abc2midi does is very
> > flexible and can easily changed by the user or in the source.
>
> Yes exactly one can either:
>         1. Use & pay for a finished product.
>         2. Make do with (excellent IMO) freeware.
>         3. Expend (far less) time and effort to make desired modifications than it
>         took some altruist to write the software in the first place.
>
> [3] If this results in `non standard' abc , well  then fix the script with vi
> (or whatever) until it does work on your setup. I have to do this already
> for quite a few examples that i get.
> After all, the whole point of abc appears to be that it is not a `closed
> package' - one is evidently  EXPECTED to do this.
>
> If one can't repair a car - it has to go to the garage. this is the same
> thing.

Well said, RJP. Unfortunately:
  a) I don't have the programming skills needed to modify the source code
     of an application.
  b) I haven't got time to learn it.
  c) I don't know anybody who would do it for me for free.
  d) *Paying* somebody to do the job would be far more expensive than
     buying a commercial package. (Never mind that I have to have a
     professional music noation appliaction in any case.)

I liked your car metaphor. My skills in that field is at about the same
level as my programming skills, and I do take my car to a garage
whenever I need something fixed. But I can assure you that no matter how
attached I am to my trusty old Starlet: the moment repairing it costs
more than buying a new one, it goes straight to the Great Car Park in
the Sky.

So I guess I'll keep on doing the bulk of my music transcription work
with some other non-abc program package.

Frank Nordberg