Frank Nordberg wrote:
| James Allwright wrote:
| > K:C ^b _f % hejaz
| > conveys the same information and is fully backwards-compatible.
|
| A very good idea!!!  :-)
| > (I'm sure this example is wrong because I have no idea what hejaz is).
|
| It's
| K:C _a _b % hejaz

Nope.  The "hejaz" (or "hijaz") scale has a flat 2nd and a sharp 3rd.
It  can  be treated as either phrygian with a major 3rd or mixolydian
with a flat 2nd.  For C, it would be
   K:C_d_B mode=hejaz

This gives a scale of C _D E F G A _B c.

The 7th of the scale is actually somewhat variable.  I say "somewhat"
because  in some languages/traditions, the version with the sharp 7th
has a different name.  Thus, in Turkish:
   K:C_d_B^c mode=zengule

Others consider these to be the same scale, with a variable 7th, much
like the classical minor scale has variable 6th and 7th notes.

(Then there's the quibble that in some traditions, such as  Romanian,
it's  common  to  play  an  intermediate 7th for this scale.  And, of
course, this is never notated; you just have to know.)