> See if I've got this right:
>
> K:       Root    Mode     Key signature
> Dlyd     D       lydian   F# - C# - G#
> D        D       major    F# - C#
> D^e_f    D       silly    E# - Fb
> D^f^c=g  D       none     F# - C# - G natural
> _b       +-unspecified-+  Bb

This last one seems potentially disastrous, as almost any newcomer
to ABC would assume it meant B flat major (in fact it's the way I'd
*prefer* to write B flat major).

How about a new keyword to warn the user when one of these oddities
is coming?

  K:none _b

for that example where no root is given, or

  K:G none _b % synonymous with G dorian

where we state the root but import no assumptions from modal theory
about what the key signature is.  (I don't think this is generally
a good idea; people should be encouraged to give names to unusual
modes, even if they are fairly arbitrary like the Kurdish examples
I posted here a while back).

"none" would also allow converters from other notation systems to get
the key signature right while providing the reader with the information
that the key/mode specification was incomplete and some human editing
still had to be done.

The other use of a "none" key or mode is when using an automatic
transposer (like BarFly's built-in utility) for atonal music; the
required behaviour is different than when transposing a piece in C.