Richard L Walker remarked:
| Hmm, maybe actually defining the scale (as below) within an abc file
| wouldn't be such a hot idea after all.

Yeah.  There have been a few  suggestions  that  we  have  a  way  of
defining  modes.   It's  not  really  very  difficult to come up with
schemes to do this. The problem is that the schemes come out somewhat
on  the  complex  side,  and  it's  always  obvious that your typical
musician wouldn't have a chance of  ever  using  it  right,  or  even
remembering  the  scheme.   Most  musicians  can't  even  give you an
accurate definition of a major scale.

Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that  we  shouldn't  discuss
the  idea.   There are already some features within abc that are only
used by a minority of musicians.  If something useful can be  ignored
by people who don't need it, then it's not necessarily a problem. The
only real problem with "obscure" featues is the question of how  many
programmers will be bothered to implement them.  We've seen this with
the "global accidentals" idea, which was in the 1.6 standard and  was
apparently hardly implemented at all.