> Depending on the specific hornpipe, the ratio of a  hornpipe's  small
> notes  can range from 3:2 to 3:1.  A 2:1 ratio is the most common, of
> course, which is why some people say that hornpipes should be written
> in  12/8  or  12/16  rather  than  4/4.  It could be useful if a midi
> generator could be told the actual ratio to get the  different  kinds
> of hornpipe. And, of course, hornpipes are regularly played as reels.

..........and the English stage hornpipe of the 18th
century was completely undotted anyway.

The Village Music Project has a problem with the R: field.
As certain hornpipe tunes will be played (by some software
packages) dotted  when they are not, the only alternative
is to leave the R: field blank. This is silly if the tune
is called XXX Hornpipe, and also it gives us a database
search problem farther down the line if we want to use R:
as a tune type field.

Johnny Adams -

The Village Music Project
@ The Institute of Social Research