Frank Nordberg writes:
| John Chambers wrote:
| > One of my favorite test cases for music software is the tune at:
| >
| > http://ecf-guest.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/Intl/tune/JovanoJovanke_D.abc
| > http://ecf-guest.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/Intl/tune/JovanoJovanke_E.abc
|
| Nice one :-)

Yeah; it's a pretty tune.  I oughta get the words and  include  them,
too.  Of course, then we get into the fun of trying to get the proper
Cyrillic spelling from equipment sold in the USA ...

| I made a quick Finale file out of the first one. You can see the results
| (PDF) at:
|
| http://www.musicaviva.com/jovano-jovanke/jovano-jovanke.pdf
|
| (sorry about the typo)

Yeah; I noticed, and checked to see if that's the way it was in my tune.

| and hear it at:
|
| http://www.musicaviva.com/jovano-jovanke/jovano-jovanke.mid

One quibble:  It should have one of the instrumental interludes,  but
not  both.   Or  maybe alternate between them.  And a quibble with my
transcription:  I've heard a number of recordings of  the  tune,  and
most  don't  repeat  the first phrase.  Of course, that's the sort of
thing that people do  however  they  feel  like  at  the  time,  like
optional stretched endings of the phrases.  I'm not sure which repeat
pattern would be best to put "in writing", but maybe I'll change  it.
Or not.

| I made one change: isn't there supposed to be a C minor chord in bar 19?

Hmmm ... I'm not sure how you're counting measures.  In any case, the
chords at several places are quite variable. In particular, the hejaz
endings (on D) typically would have Cm chords, but exactly  where  is
somewhat  a  matter  of taste, and I'd guess that's what you mean.  I
don't think I'd play the endings the same twice in a row.

| I'm not sure about all the details (tempo, which order and in which
| octaves are the key sig. supposed to be notated etc.)

The tempo should be about half the speed of the midi; a measure takes
1.5  to  2 seconds.  It's not fast.  As for the key signatures, their
looks aren't totally standardized.  The _B_e^f that  you  used  isn't
common,  probably  because  the _e and _f bump up against each other.
I've seen both _B_e^F and ^f_B_e, and I'd guess that the  reason  for
those is the more aesthetic layout. What I have my abc2ps clone do is
take literally what you give in the K:  line.  So JovanoJovanke_D.abc
has K:Dphr^F, which gives _B_e^F as the signature. My main reason for
doing this is so that I can handle  signatures  that  have  different
accidentals  on  the  same  note  in different octaves.  There was an
example some time back of K:G^f=F, meaning that the high f's were all
sharp  and the low F's were all natural.  My code would accept this K
line and produce a sharp on the top line and a natural on the  bottom
space.  There are a number of musical traditions that require this.

| Oh - and yes. I didn't bother to post a version ransposed to E - that's
| no challenge at all to Finale ;-)

I do see a lot of output from music software that does  silly  things
like,  when  transposing to G, writing all the ^F's as _G's.  I'm not
sure how a program would get it so wrong, but I've seen this far  too
often.  I don't know what software does it, though.

| Btw, the ABC applications I have didn't do to good a job on these files.
| BarFly got it mostly right - except it notated a sharp in front of every
| F instead of incorporating it in ther key signature, while abc2ps and
| yaps didn't show any key signatures or accidentals at all.

Yeah;  while  I've  gotten  a  lot  of  positive  responses  from  my
suggestions  for  explicit  lists of accidentals in key signatures, I
don't know of anyone else  who  has  actually  implemented  it.   The
positive  responses  come  from people who want to use it, of course,
and it's possible that I'm the only implementer in  that  set.   Such
feechurs are why we need a new standard.  (Or a new language that can
handle music other than western European. ;-)

The Barfly interpretation  is  consistent  with  the  description  of
"global accidentals" in the 1.6 standard.  There does seem to be some
agreement that this was a bit of a mistake,  with  the  qualification
that  as  an  option  it  could  be  useful  at times.  (And the same
qualification would imply a second option to spread  the  entire  key
signature through the music.)