Hello to all the abcusers ! I'm new on this list, but
I'm not really new concerning abc using.

I have a question about future improvements of the abc
format :
I'm transcribing mostly tunes with only one voice
(trad. / folk), but sometimes I'm working with ancient
music tunes, and I feel limited by some restrictions
in the abc format : as music can be seen horizontaly,
there's no problem with the abc format : we can use
many different voices with the field "V:n". In ancient
music manuscripts, the music is often described like
that. But in modern interpretations, music is often
transcribed for one lead intrument (recorder, fiddle
etc.) with an accompagning intrument (guitar,
keyboard...) and then we get a partition with two
staffs ; the second one is an arrangement of 2 or 4
parts. To say it shortly, the problem occurs also if
one wants to convert a simple partition for just one
guitar into abc format (note : I could use midi files
instead, but I really prefer abc files)

One example

X:21
T:Branle
R:Branle
C:Tielman Susato
Z:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
M:6/8
L:1/8
Q:1/4=110
K:C
V:1
c>de d>ef | c>de d3 :: e>de c>de | f2 e d3 :|]
V:2
%%MIDI transpose -12
 [G2e2] [ce] [B2g2] [Af] | [A2e2][ce] [G3d3] ::
 [C2c2] [Cc] [F2a2] [Eg] | [D2f2] [Cg] [B,3g3] :|]
V:3
%%MIDI transpose -12
C>B,C G,2 D | A,>B,C G,3 :: g>fg cAB | dAc B3 :|]

In fact my partition gives me only one staff for V:2 &
V:3. With abc2ps for exemple, the result is less
impressive than in the original partition. And if this
example is rather simple (one can easily split the
original partition into 2 or 3), in some partitions
where the voices cross each others, this can be rather
difficult.

Is there a solution for the future ?

Eric