>R:Branle
>C:Tielman Susato
>Z:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>M:6/8
>L:1/8
>Q:1/4=110
>K:C
>V:1
>c>de d>ef | c>de d3 :: e>de c>de | f2 e d3 :|]
>V:2
>%%MIDI transpose -12
>  [G2e2] [ce] [B2g2] [Af] | [A2e2][ce] [G3d3] ::
>  [C2c2] [Cc] [F2a2] [Eg] | [D2f2] [Cg] [B,3g3] :|]
>V:3
>%%MIDI transpose -12
>C>B,C G,2 D | A,>B,C G,3 :: g>fg cAB | dAc B3 :|]
>

>In fact my partition gives me only one staff for V:2 &
>V:3. With abc2ps for exemple, the result is less
>impressive than in the original partition. And if this
>example is rather simple (one can easily split the
>original partition into 2 or 3), in some partitions
>where the voices cross each others, this can be rather
>difficult.
>
>Is there a solution for the future ?

Merging multiple voices onto one staff is a tricky problem
for the programmer.  Human music engravers have all kinds of
little tricks to solve the conflicts which occur (turning
note heads round, adjusting the positions of rests up and down
etc).  It will be a while before abc programs can do that
automatically.

Life gets especially complicated where the voices cross over.
In this particular case, where V:2 and V:3 are actually played
by the same instrument you might be able to improve things
by moving notes from one voice to the other, replacing them
in the original voice with invisible rests (x).  So the last
bar of V:2 and V:3 could be written as:

V:2
| [D-df-][ADf] [Ccg] [B,3B3g3] :|
V:3
| x3 x3 :|

Another possibility is to control the direction of the note
stems on a note by note basis.  I don't know if any programs
allow you to do this at present, but it will probably be required
in future.

Phil Taylor