Steve Mansfield wrote:
| Can I just sincerely apologise to everyone on the list
|
| (especially rjp, who will probably kill me at band practise tomorrow)
|
| for accidentally restarting the V: wars again?

No, we won't forgive you! It's about  time  that  someone  made  this
mistake.   Maybe  we  can hear what (if anything) has happened in the
various V-enabled abc apps since the last go-around.

As I may have mentioned recently, I've been doing a bit of hacking at
my  abc2ps  clone  to see if I could get my abc tune finder to handle
the various V lines that are Out There.  My impression is that, aside
from  the  old octave question for non-treble clefs, there are few if
any actual incompatibilities in the implementations of V lines.  That
is,  if you merge all the fields into a single list, there don't seem
to be any real contradictions.  It's just that different  programmers
have implemented different capabilities.  And the resulting syntax is
a bit more complex than need be.

So calling it a "war" isn't really accurate.  It's more a case  of  a
number  of  different  people  talking  past  each  other  about what
features are needed, and not much paying attention to what the others
want.   This  is  to  be  expected, of course.  But a bunch of people
sitting around, each talking only to themselves, hardly qualifies  as
a war.

Since most of the tune finder's users seem to want it to return staff
notation (usually in GIF - yuck!), the most useful thing for me would
be a program that joined all the features having  to  do  with  music
formatting.   I've been seriously tempted to take what I have and try
to merge it with abcm2ps.  That would probably be the  most  powerful
abc formatter around, at least for a few weeks.

(The main reason for my not using abcm2ps now is that I  and  several
others  are  now  addicted to the code I added to handle explicit key
signatures, extended repeat notation, and funny clefs.  This is  more
important  to  me  than  the  ability to put two voices on one staff,
which is really just a matter of saving paper.  But it would be  nice
if  I  could also correctly deliver some of the 2-staff 4-voice vocal
abc that has appeared at a few sites, not  to  mention  some  of  the
!foo! goodies.)