Laurenz Wiskott wrote:

> I therefore would like to suggest that in abc-format H and h become valid
> alternatives for B and b, respectively, in indicating the pitch of a note
> and the accompaniment chords.

Is that really necessary? I mean you can type whatever you like, of
course, but I think the end ABC output ought to be as simplified and
standardized as possible. At the end of this message there's an example
of my own transcriptions, both the raw input and the finished proper
ABC. Even this level of post-processing is quite easy for a computer,
and  replacing H with B is child's play compared to that. As Simon
mentioned, there's even a JavaScript online to do that work (sorry, I
don't remember the URL either).

The B/H problem has been one of the curses of standard notation for
centuries, and I really don't see any reason to introduce that error to
ABC as well.

Chords is another matter. Chord names isn't standardized in ABC at all,
so you can use anything you want there.

Forgeot Eric wrote:

> I know that in scandinavia (Norway at least), they use the "H"
> notation like in Germany, but they don't use the "is" and "es"
> part of it ("Gb" stay "Gb", and doesn't become "Ges").

That's not exactly correct. In Scandinavia we use the "ess" and "iss"
suffixes for flat and sharp respectively: Gb is called "gess" and G# is
called "giss". (Ab actually becomes "ass" ;-)

But we (that is younger Scandinavian musicians who grew up with jazz and
rock) have been working very hard for a while to get rid of the German
notation idiocy altogether. We haven't had too much luck so far, but at
least we've managed to get proper alphabetic *notation* of chords more
or less standardized.

Frank Nordberg

-------

An example of my own extremely non-standard "ABC" input.
Here's what I actually typed on my Psion:

X:29
T:Allemaigne 1
C:Tielman Susato
S:Susato1551
R:Allemande
M:C
L:1/4
K:C
V:1 %8vb
cøBøcødøcdie2egif2e2id2c2idøcødøeøfdie2e2::eødøeøføefig2fei
døcødøeøfdie2e2::exf eødøcøBøiA2G2icdecid2dciBøcødøcø BøAøcøBøic2c2:i
V:2 %8vb
G2BIc2cdid2c2iB2A2IBXcdAic2c2::c2cAIcbAci
dGAXBic2c2::c2c2ic2cGIABc2I_B2BFIGAG2IE2E2:I
V:3 %8vb
C2EFIG2G_BI_B2G2IGXFECIG2AFIG2G2::G2GFIEDFGI
_B2AFIG2G2::G2GEIF2E2IEFGAIF2GCIDØEØFØEØ DØCØDIC2C2:I
V:4 %15mb
c2Adic2cGi_B2c2IG2A2IG2ddic2c2::c2cdicGdci
G2ddic2c2::c2cciF2cXBiadcAI_B2GAIGFG2ic2c2:i

After a few simple editing routines it ends up as this (BarFly
formatted) ABC:

X:29
T:Allemaigne 1
C:Tielman Susato
S:Susato1551
Z:Transcribed by Frank Nordberg - http://www.musicaviva.com
%http://www.musicaviva.com/abc/tunes/susato-tielman/susato-allemande-01.abc
V:1 Program 1 110 %Fiddle
V:2 Program 1 40 %Violin
V:3 Program 1 41 alto %Viola
V:4 Program 1 42 bass %Cello
R:Allemande
M:C
L:1/4
K:C
V:1
C/B,/C/D/CD|E2EG|F2E2|D2C2|
V:2
G,2B,|C2CD|D2C2|B,2A,2|
V:3
C,2E,F,|G,2G,_B,|_B,2G,2|G,>F,E,C,|
V:4
C,2A,,D,|C,2C,G,,|_B,,2C,2|G,,2A,,2|
%
V:1
D/C/D/E/FD|E2E2::E/D/E/F/EF|G2FE|
V:2
B,>CDA,|C2C2::C2CA,|CBA,C|
V:3
G,2A,F,|G,2G,2::G,2G,F,|E,D,F,G,|
V:4
G,,2D,D,|C,2C,2::C,2C,D,|C,G,,D,C,|
%
V:1
D/C/D/E/FD|E2E2::E>F E/D/C/B,/|A,2G,2|
V:2
DG,A,>B,|C2C2::C2C2|C2CG,|
V:3
_B,2A,F,|G,2G,2::G,2G,E,|F,2E,2|
V:4
G,,2D,D,|C,2C,2::C,2C,C,|F,,2C,>B,,|
%
V:1
CDEC|D2DC|B,/C/D/C/ B,/A,/C/B,/|C2C2:|
V:2
A,B,C2|_B,2B,F,|G,A,G,2|E,2E,2:|
V:3
E,F,G,A,|F,2G,C,|D,/E,/F,/E,/ D,/C,/D,|C,2C,2:|
V:4
A,D,C,A,,|_B,,2G,,A,,|G,,F,,G,,2|C,2C,2:|