Hello,

I think you are right with the rejection of the H notation, but at the
same time, you should be aware of a lot of anglizisms in abc notation
format. Before thinking about abc formatting as an universal standard
there are some hurdles to take :o) : As someone mentioned it is stil
derivated from stone age five-line/tewelve-key notation and its all
english in the moment.

 I still disbelive in abc as an universal music language, I prefer it as
notation system for traditional music based on european classical
traditions.

And practically spoken there is no german speaking (or any other
language exept english) site to promote abc format, no text on abc in
the whole net exept english.

But following the line of things like H, do re mi, etc. isnt'n it the
advantage of computers to be able to translate between the differnt
languages in no time? Maybe we shold have more than one eye on
peripheral programms which interprete from language to language via abc
format? Why not having  program versions of an abc programms which
includes all these things like an B/H/si substitution. The abc text
itself must not be tangented, but the usability would be more
international.

Simon Wascher - Vienna, Austria

John Chambers wrote:
(...)
> There are some extensions that should be added  to  abc  to  make  it
> handle  some  kinds of music that it can't handle well yet.  But some
> notation we should simply refuse to support.  Instead, we should  try
> to  make  abc  into  a  more  consistent and universal notation.  The
> difference isn't always obvious, of course, and  it's  worthwhile  to
> discuss  such  things.   The  German  "H" notation is probably a good
> example to put in the "rejected" list, with the comment that we  have
> an  opportunity  to  kill  off what is really just bad notation (even
> within the tradition that developed it).

(...)