--------

Laura Conrad asks:

|     >> I usually use "#"A or "b"A to show editorial accidentals.
|
|     Phil> Yes.  Perhaps "^#" would be better.
|
| Are there any abc2ps variants that have implemented this feature?

Well, abc2ps has accepted "#"A and "b"A from the  start.   The  stuff
inside double quotes is just text, and is placed above the note. Such
programs don't need to understand the  text,  and  abc2ps  has  never
parsed chord symbols.

Making "^#"A work is trivial with abc2ps.  You  find  the  code  that
parses  such  quoted  chord  symbols,  and  have it ignore an initial
circumflex. This is one line of C. I've done this in my abc2ps clone.
Making it handle "_#"A correctly is a bit trickier, since you have to
figure out how to position the "#" text string below the note.

The real problem with this notation is that abc2ps  only  allows  one
such quoted string before a note.  So you can't have both a chord and
an accidental, like "F#7""^#"A.

But multiple such text attachments to a note would be useful, and I've
been thinking more and more of figuring out how to implement it.  For
example:  "F#7""^fp""^#""<4"A"_d.C.".

(How's that for unreadable? ;-)