Jack Campin writes:

>But the problem isn't with text processors,it's with brainless
>transfer agents that don't convert terminators in
>text files properly.

I have a bunch of files that I've transferred between Unix and Dos, and
edited on both, so they have some line endings from each. (And it'll get
worse if I ever get that Mac notbook...)  There must be a lot of other
people who do the same, so mixed line endings may not be that uncommon. Most
editors these days seem to handle it gracefully, so one tends not to
notice---I usually have to open a file in vi to make sure---but I don't know
that you can always blame the transfer agents for not picking it up.

Cheers,
John Walsh