    >> I'd rather stay away from L:.  A quick look through some of my collection
    >> shows that it would give the wrong beat more often than not.
    >>

    James> Then presumably you are not using the Q: field as defined.

But we aren't discussing the current definition of the Q: field.

What we're talking about is adding a new keyword, which should have a
default value for tunes where it isn't entered.  This doesn't
necessarily have anything to do with the default values of the current
fields.

The way I use the L: field is to simplify data entry; the way I use
the Q: field would be pretty unreadable to people who are used to
published metronome markings if it was always in terms of the L:
field.  That is, in music where the beat is divided into 2, 4, 8, or
more parts, I might very likely want to enter music with an L: of a
much shorter value than I would want to specify the beat.  I might
also change the L: field when I had no reason to change what the beat
was.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574