At 11:40 AM 11-15-2001 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] you wrote:
>A couple of questions:
>
>    Q:Allegro
>
>Should display "Allegro."  But for playback, should it use a default
>tempo, or take a reasonable guess as to the appropriate beat, or generate
>an error?  The same question applies if "Allegro" is used but never
>defined.

My feeling is that on playback Q:Allegro should use the current definition
of the beat as a default, but use the defined bpm tempo.

Example:
X: 1
T: Simple scales, in arpegios of 3rds.
Q: Slow=60
Q: Quick=90
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
K: C
Q: 3/8=Slow
CEG DFA | EGb FAc | Gbd Ace |
Q: Quick
ecA dbG | cAF bGE | AFD GEC |

Should display "Slow" for the first bar, "Quick" for the second.  Playback
should play the first bar in about 6 seconds, the second in about 4.

(That example suggested a utility for a "Q:3/8" line, which would define
the timing beat of the work.  Hence, "Q:3/8" would go above the "K:" line,
and the first Q line after the K: could read simply "Q: Slow".

If a "Q: Slow" is given, but there is no previous Q: specifiying a beat,
going with the L: setting, or some reasonable default for the beat length
is probably best.

If "Q:undefinedtempo" is encountered, I think the best the standard
should/could do say that the playback speed is implementation dependent,
and encourage developers to provide a way for the user to control it.

>Also, there must be some way of displaying 3/8=120 AND "Allegro" at the
>same time (two Q: fields?), and interpreting "=" and "3/8" as ordinary
>characters.

Dunno...

Another thought:

I wonder if it would make sense to not use "=" for two purposes.  In "Q:
Allegro=120", the "=" is defining the meaning of Allegro.  In "Q:
3/8=Allegro", = is setting the speed of a 3/8 note.  In "Q:
3/8=Allegro=120", it's doing both.  Could a different symbol be used for
one of those purposes, like "==" or ":="?  "Q: Allegro:=120"? "Q:
3/8==Allegro"?  "Q:3/8=Allegro:=120"?

Not a big deal, feel free to reject it.  However, I do see the possibility
of "symbol:=value" as being potentially useful for the beginnings of a
macro facility (which may prove useful elsewhere).