On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Laurie Griffiths wrote:

> Is there any mileage in something like
> Q:Allegro=120  % definition
> Q:3/8=Allegro  % use, meaning that the "beat" is 3/8 in this case

I didn't like it at first glance, but the more I think about it, the more
sense it makes.  The only problem I can see is that old software might not
like it (but if we give this consideration too much weight, the new
standard will be stultified).  In fact, this could be the solution to
extending Q:.

   Q:3/8=120      % Playback and print 3/8=120, same as now.

   Q:Allegro=120  % Define "Allegro" as 120 bpm, no direct effect on
                  % display or playback.

   Q:3/8=Allegro  % Set 3/8=120 for playback, display "Allegro".

The latter two could even be abbreviated:

   Q:3/8=Allegro=120  % Set 3/8=120 for playback, display "Allegro",
                      % define "Allegro" as 120 bpm.

A couple of questions:

   Q:Allegro

Should display "Allegro."  But for playback, should it use a default
tempo, or take a reasonable guess as to the appropriate beat, or generate
an error?  The same question applies if "Allegro" is used but never
defined.

Also, there must be some way of displaying 3/8=120 AND "Allegro" at the
same time (two Q: fields?), and interpreting "=" and "3/8" as ordinary
characters.

John