On Thu 15 Nov 2001 at 02:33PM -0000, Laurie Griffiths wrote:
> The point is that 120 (or Allegro) means 120 of "something or other" every
> minute.

This is where the problem is. Allegro needs to be defined as 120 3/8 notes
per minute or 180 1/4 notes per minute, so that we don't get left
wondering what the something is. Assigning 120 to the word "Allegro"
does not capture the way this term is used in the musical world. If
you avoid this step, you can avoid worrying about the "beat" altogether.
We don't need to know what the "beat" is with our existing syntax
and we can manage without it in any new syntax as well.

James Allwright