I beg to differ.  (Incidentally Scarce Of Tatties is a jig that I rather
like - it's in Sue Songer's Portland Collection).

Version 1 - stripped to the bone
X:1
K:A Mix
A>ee e>fg|e>dB A3:|
a>ea a2e |e>dB A3:|

is incorrect ABC but can be fixed up by guessing (YES, GUESSING!!) where the
two repeats are supposed to go.  The "start of tune" one works in this
case - but I've seen too many where there are a few lead-in notes at the
start of the tune that are not repeated.  On these, the guess goes wrong.
Some redundancy can be a good thing.

Version 2
X:2
K:A Mix
A>ee e>fg|e>dB A3::
a>ea a2e |e>dB A3:|

is still incorrect, but now there's only one error, i.e. one missing
repeat-start.  Arguing that O'Neil did it is flawed because as far as I know
he never wrote any ABC.  Arguing that there is so much ABC out there that
does it that it has to be treated as de facto legal, alas, carries the day.
This is what it says in the Muse source code:
   // Algorithm:
   // Keep count of the number of excess start-repeats.
   // If we arrive at the end with an excess, close them all
   // (We could consider doing so as soon as we see a start-repeat
   // as nested repeats are rare)
   // We keep track of the last good point to add a repeat and if ever
   // the count goes negative insert one there.  Good points are the
beginning
   // just before the first note or rest and after any repeat-end or double
bar,
   // again just before the first note or rest.

Version 3

X:3
K:A Mix
|:A>ee e>fg|e>dB A3:|
|:a>ea a2e |e>dB A3:|

Is correct.  It does NOT have an empty bar because :| is not a bar line and
nor is |:.  The proof of this is that they can occur in the middles of bars.
They are something pretty close to double-bars, which can also occur in the
middles of bars (I believe the posh word is anacrusis).  There seems to be a
convention in tadpole land that where a double-bar coincides with a bar line
you omit the bar line - that is you draw just two, not three - and I
remember wrestling with some interesting ambiguities in the area of
bar-length counting and stress-patterns when I wrote that part of Muse.
Alas, I cannot now remember what they are.

(I think there was (and may still be) a restriction in Barfly that repeats
are only allowed at bar boundaries - but I also recall Phil admitting that
is a restriction in Barfly caused by a misunderstanding when he wrote it.

Laurie