First: thanks for a really reasonable posting!

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, John Chambers wrote:

> Atte writes:
> |
> | > - people who can't distinguish between a single standard that allows
> | > chords to be machine-readable, and 'you've left my pet notation out'
> |
> | I also proposed one, didn't catch on. I don't think the reason is the
> | above. I think only very few people use abc for jazz.
>
> This is a rather succinct description of  the  situation.   What  I'd
> suggest is that:
>
> 1.  ABC users who play jazz and other styles that need "fancy" chords
> should  discuss  the  subject  with  the  idea  of coming up with one
> machine-readable chord standard, and

I'm in!

> 2. Musicians who don't need such chords should be casually ignored.

OK :-)

> We might add that the case of the root and bass note  letter  is  not
> significant.   This  is a good idea because current practice isn't at
> all consistent here, and it doesn't really make much difference. Note
> that  this  does eliminate the common practice of using lower case to
> mean "minor".  As elegant as that might be, we're probably better off
> if abc doesn't adopt it. (Just as we should officially ban the use of
> "B" to mean B flat and "H" to mean B.  ;-)

Well, well, well. I personally never use slash-chords (as they are
called), simply I'm not involved in music that deals with this kinda
stuff. Basically you can say that it is a shorthand for a *voicing* and as
such doesn't  really describe what the chord is. A couple of examples:

C/D is actually Dsus7(9) without 5th, but
D/C is actually D7 with the 7th in the bass

I don't think it would make any sense to try to get player programs to
understand slash-chords, but I don't think they should be forbidden. Band
In A Box only plays a single note in the bass and the simple chord in the
"right hand" when stuff like this happens. That's probably the best way
for player programs to treat this, anyways.
--
l8er
Atte