> About converting abc to eps files, or other image format, you
> should use pdf instead because most users have access to a pdf
> reader (gv, acrobat, xpdf etc.). Postcript files are not easily
> readable by windows users who don't have ghostscript (=most of
> them).

Which version of Acrobat?  They keep changing the file format, and
as it only has proprietary implementations you're more likely to get
completely stuck with unreadable files a few years down the road than
with something like PostScript where there are third-party clones.

On my setup (old Macs) I can generate PostScript from some applications
for free (I think, haven't tried lately) but creating Acrobat files
needs a utility that costs money.  Is there a way to do it free on any
current platform?

Perhaps "as well" rather than "instead"?