    James> The inconsistency is deliberate. The point is that when you play a
    James> hornpipe or anything else with dotted rhythm (or swing, or whatever
    James> you want to call it), keeping a 3:1 ratio is rather harder than
    James> keeping a 2:1 ratio and doesn't really add much musically apart from
    James> a certain pedantic pleasure in knowing that you are playing exactly
    James> what your notation says. This is why abc2midi makes the assumption
    James> that a>b is meant to be played as a 2:1 ratio. I think this is in
    James> accordance with the original spirit of '>' even if this is not spelt
    James> out in the standard.

Not only is it not spelt out in the standard, something completely
different from this *is* spelt out in the (draft) standard.  Which you
haven't ever proposed changing.

    James> The effect of R:Hornpipe in abc2midi is to introduce '>' between 1/8
    James> notes so that a piece written as a reel will come out sounding like
    James> a hornpipe.

Nobody's complaining about a player program changing the way the music
is played because of an explicit R: statement.  (As long as this is
documented.)

    James> Because there is this aethetically displeasing discrepancy between
    James> notation and performance, I have taken the view that '>' is a
    James> function to be used only in a very specific setting and trying to
    James> generalize it for other uses is courting trouble.

Again, the draft standard, and all of the experienced ABC writers I
know, disagree.  '>' is a very useful way to make the ABC more
readable, as long as it produces the intended effect.

I agree that in many contexts the literal meaning specified by the
standard, and expected by most users, is aesthetically displeasing,
and I support the "%%MIDI ratio" command for changing it, but the
default value should be the one specified by the standard.

For those who haven't looked at it lately, the draft standard says:

  Broken rhythms
  ==============

A common occurrence in traditional music is the use of  a  dotted
or broken rhythm. For example, hornpipes, strathspeys and certain
morris jigs all have dotted eighth notes  followed  by  sixteenth
notes  as  well  as  vice-versa  in  the  case of strathspeys. To
support this abc notation uses a > to mean `the previous note  is
dotted, the next note halved' and < to mean `the previous note is
halved, the next dotted'. Thus the following lines all  mean  the
same thing (the third version is recommended):

  L:1/16
  a3b cd3 a2b2c2d2

  L:1/8
  a3/2b/2 c/2d3/2 abcd