James Allwright wrote:
| > It sounds like you're saying that ">" cannot be used to notate the
| > first notes of "Mari's Wedding" to play as I've always heard it
| > played. This would be unacceptable.
|
| No-one else has used Mairi's Wedding to define the meaning of ">".
| What ">" and "<" gives you in abc2midi is a notation for tunes in
| 6/8 masquerading as tunes in 4/4. This covers hornpipes and probably
| strathspays (though I can't tell since I don't get to hear very many
| of those). This is not a mistake. Perhaps you should tell the generations
| of musicians who have notated 6/8 tunes in 4/4 that that is unacceptable.
|
| Actually, having abc2midi as an "unacceptable" program is kind of cool.
| I like to think of it being a bit of rebel software :-).

Actually,  what  would  be  better  would  be  to  have  it
recognize  R:hornpipe  as meaning that > implies a triplet,
while R:strathspey rewrites > as >>.  While strathspeys  do
have  triplets,  they  are always notated as such (and have
three notes).   But  it's  common  to  "overdot"  both  the
long+short and short+long (snap) rhythms to the extent that
you can.  You also sometimes hear the  small  notes  played
evenly, though this isn't common.

But this would definitely decrease your rebel points. Maybe
you  could  make  up for it by having options that generate
the latest in metal/industrial/whatever  that  critics  are
railing  against.   Then  we could run through O'Neill's or
Playford hear how all the tunes sound in that form.

(I could list a bunch of other rhythms that could be mapped
to  a  lopsided  division like this.  I'm sure that lots of
others could, too.)